In the news
- Haile Gebrselassie (pictured) of Ethiopia sets a new world record in the marathon of two hours, three minutes, 59 seconds at the Berlin Marathon.
- Turkmenistan adopts a new constitution that abolishes the People's Council and allows opposition parties.
- A bomb blast in Delhi, India kills two and injures 23.
- A car bomb in Damascus, Syria kills 17 and injures 14.
- CNSA astronaut Zhai Zhigang successfully performs a spacewalk during the Chinese space mission Shenzhou 7.
- In the largest bank failure in U.S. history, Washington Mutual is placed into receivership by the Office of Thrift Supervision. As receiver, the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation sells the bank's accounts and operations to JPMorgan Chase.