Thursday, February 17, 2011

The Canon of Jigoro Kano


Jigoro Kano

Over these last days a student's post reminded me about the great culture of Japan. He stated that he is planning  to go to Japan for working in the digital media arts. Well, something new to me, knowing that a lot of people really wants to come here for working in Pixar or under the direction of James Cameron, but what do I really know?
Anyway, my father inculcated in my life a great respect for the Japanese culture; its architecture, its discipline, and its great respect for all human relations and interactions, but more importantly so for its art and philosophical and practical teachings.


One among those numerous Japanese Masters, without a doubt, is Jigoro Kano. Here, below, it is the note as I have written it for the aforementioned student.

Hi M------,

Thank you for sharing your goals and orientations with us.  


" 'Real World' ", I truly like how you have quoted it; theretofore, I should share with you one quotation about reality in the "real world", this is from Jigoro Kano:


"Walk a single path, becoming neither cocky with victory nor broken with defeat, without forgetting caution when all is quiet or becoming frightened when danger threatens "


 ◙JMK◙NYC◙2011◙

No comments:

Post a Comment

Plowed Results | Resultados Arados