Paul Krugman at the German National Library of Frankfurt. Lecturing on "After Bush - The End of the Neo-Conservatives and the Moment for the Democrats".
Photo source from: http://frankfurt.usconsulate.gov/frankfurt/krugman.html. Author, according to Wikipedia, United States Consulate General in Frankfurt. Photo is Public domain in the United States because it is a work of the United States Federal Government under the terms of Title 17, Chapter 1, Section 105 of the US Code. See Copyright.
- U.S. economist Paul Krugman (pictured) wins the 2008 Nobel Prize in Economics.
- Iceland faces a major financial crisis affecting all three major banks of the country.
- Martti Ahtisaari, a former President of Finland and a United Nations diplomat, wins the 2008 Nobel Peace Prize.
- French writer Jean-Marie Gustave Le Clézio wins the 2008 Nobel Prize in Literature.
- The British Government announces details of a financial rescue package aimed at stabilizing and restoring confidence in the British banking sector.
- Osamu Shimomura, Martin Chalfie, and Roger Y. Tsien win the 2008 Nobel Prize in Chemistry for the discovery and development of the green fluorescent protein.